Tuesday 2 August 2011

New Fabric!

While in Bangkok, we ventured out to Sampeng Lane in Chinatown to see what we could find in terms of great quality fabrics at a good price. I love going out to Sampeng Lane, it's quite a hidden spot where not many tourists know about and it has a lot of good fabric shops which sell almost every type of fabric you can imagine. Most of the shops sell at wholesale prices too if you want to buy more than 1kg. We ended up getting a nice variety of fabric and I'm so excited about the stuff I'm about to make!


We came back with some cotton knit in various colors and stripes, some Egyptian cotton for James to get a couple of shirts tailor made, and this really soft silk/wool/cashmere blend to make myself a pair of nice trousers. I couldn't believe it when i saw it - silk, wool and cashmere all in the one fabric at only 300 Baht a metre which is about $12/m. I love natural fabrics, in fact I don't even look at polyester, satin or any of the other artificial stuff. They just never breathe or feel the same as the real thing. I'd rather spend a little bit more on quality, but that's just me!


4 comments:

  1. I didn't do my research when I went and couldn't find this area at all! Will not make that mistake again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit of a walk down to Chinatown and really easy to miss especially cos a lot of the streets don't have signs. But you have to go check it out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just wondering, do you do custom orders with these fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not at the moment. This time round I only bought enough of each fabric to make myself a few pieces. You're probably best going to a tailor, they should be able to source these sorts of fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete