Saturday 16 July 2011

Kiwi Short

So the next Harry Potter is out now and I'm really in no hurry to accompany James to the movies. I sometimes wish I was more of a movie-goer but also glad that I'm not. I have a very short attention span and it's most obvious when it comes to watching movies. The last time I went to the cinema was last year when I went with James to a late night screening of the last Harry Potter movie and about half an hour into it, I fell asleep. For some reason, quite often my mind just switches off after about 5 minutes, or at least my mind starts wandering and I start thinking about everything else except what is happening on screen. 

There are however some films that I do enjoy and they are mostly slower-moving ones such as Lost In Translation and Somewhere, the ones where you don't necessarily have to pay full attention to, but can still know what's going on even if it's just playing in the background. And then there are of course short films that I have no problem with watching. 

I happened to see Taika Waititi on BBC news one night while we were in Tokyo and it reminded me of a short film he directed called "Two Cars, One Night." I thought I'd share this short  as I think it's really well done and is one of my favourites.  Shot outside a rural pub on the East Coast of New Zealand, it's about a boy and a girl who find love in a carpark while waiting for their parents - it's simply beautiful, funny, cute, and is true kiwi style!


No comments:

Post a Comment